Despite widespread efforts, LGBTQ+ students continue to face challenges that threaten their academic and social/emotional development in schools. School counselors provide support to LGBTQ+ youth and collaborate with other staff at the school and district levels to ensure safe and supportive environments. Learn more about the Title IX coordinator, collaboration between coordinators and school counselors and best practices in working with LGBTQ+ youth.
After viewing this webinar, you will be able to:
- Identify the role of the Title IX coordinator
- Discuss the collaborative relationship between coordinators and school counselors
- Discuss best practices in working with LGBTQ+ youth
- Darrell Sampson, Executive Director, Office of Student Services, Arlington Public Schools, Arlington, Va.
- Tammi Mackeben, Director of School Counseling, Socorro Independent School District, El Paso, Tx.
- Discussion Facilitator – Charles Williams, School Counselor, Solar Preparatory School for Boys, Dallas, TX
- Gia Hoke, Educator of 18 years, where she has worked as a Teacher, an Assistant Principal, Principal, and a Title IX Coordinator for Wake County Public Schools System in North Carolina.
- Melinda Cripps, Director of School Counseling for the Billerica Public School District in Massachusetts, and has served as the Title IX Coordinator for the past 8 years.
original air date: Thursday, May 25, 3-4 p.m. EDT