Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention
Learn how you can help your school prevent suicide by utilizing the Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention resource from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), The Trevor Project, the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), and the American School Counselor Association. Hear about the recent revision to the resource, and walk away with key takeaways for your school district to use in developing school suicide prevention policy. Examples of how this document has been used in state policy development, including special considerations related to LGBTQ youth and suicide, will be shared. Download the policy here. Download accompanying handout here.
Earn 0.1 CEUs/1 contact hours for this webinar by purchasing and passing the corresponding quiz found in the Specialists and Exams section of the Online Store. CEU exams are available for 3 years following the live webinar.
After viewing this webinar, you should be able to:
- Access and discuss the Model School District Policy resource.
- Identify key takeaways to use in your school district when developing school suicide prevention policy.
- Discuss the role of school mental health professionals in the development and implementation of a school policy.
- Summarize policy implementation.
- Sam Brinton, Head of Advocacy and Government Relations, The Trevor Project
- Jill Cook, Assistant Director, American School Counselor Association
- Nicole Gibson, MSW, Senior Director-State Policy and Grassroots Advocacy, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Doreen Marshall, PhD, Vice President of Programs, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Original air date: Oct. 9, 2019
Use the Nurtured Heart Approach as a Trauma Informed Approach
Use DeBono's Six Thinking Hats for Success During Critical Student Meetings
Sponsored Webinar: Reigniting CCR: Refocus Your CCR Efforts to Support Students in Transitions
Three Tech Tools to Enhance Your School Counseling Program
Episode 16: School Counseling and Males of Color
Suicide Risk Assessments Pose Legal Risk to School Counselors
Episode 15: Celebrate Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month