Career Conversations to Promote Academic and Career Development
Learn about the Career Conversations document published by ASCA and the Colorado Department of Education. Based on the ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success, Career Conversations provides practical guidance for school counselors when working with students, parents and community members. Learn about the theory behind the document and how to apply it to your setting to promote students’ academic and career development for post-secondary success. Download accompanying handout.
After attending this webinar you should be able to:
- Identify the theoretical foundations of the ASCA Career Conversations
- Articulate the four uses of the ASCA Career Conversations: assessment, prevention, intervention, collaboration
- Apply the ASCA Career Conversations to individual case studies based on the ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors
- Develop an objective based on the ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors and identify an ASCA Career Conversations intervention
- Identify ways to use the ASCA Career Conversations with parents, students and community members
- Design a group lesson or parent workshop using ASCA Career Conversations
Jennifer Curry, Ph.D., is a professor of counselor education at Louisiana State University where she specializes in career and college readiness. She has served as an elementary, middle and high school counselor. Additionally, she has served as guest editor of Professional School Counseling journal, a journal reviewer, a delegate of ASCA’s national assembly, president of the Louisiana School Counselor Association and is currently a Professional School Counseling associate editor.
Megyn Shea, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of school counseling at the NYIT Manhattan and Long Island campuses. Her research interests include career development and college readiness. Prior to becoming a school counselor educator, she worked as an elementary and middle school counselor in Washington.
Original air date: Sept. 13, 2017
School Counseling in an Online World
Ethical Considerations: School Counseling in a...
School Counselors vs. Mental Health Counselors
Help Students Prepare to Transition Out of High...
Explore Teen Brain Development
Create an Advising Credential for Middle School Co...
Improve Attendance and Reduce Chronic Absenteeism